Tuesday 17 November 2015

iPhone Apps & Games: Candy Crush Saga

Brophy and de Peuter’s article, “Labors of Mobility,” explains that the design of smartphone applications has been the most celebrated form of work along the circuit of wireless production. Additionally, application production has become a desirable career and people in this industry are capable of producing six figure incomes depending on the popularity of their app. It is evident below that they are capable of producing much more than this!

An article by Fortune was published that listed the top downloaded and top grossing iPhone apps of 2015. The article named Candy Crush Saga and Clash of Clans as the top downloaded and grossing games respectively. Additionally, Facebook and Pandora Radio were the apps with the most downloads and revenue respectively. I find it interesting that the top grossing apps are also free to download, although I also realize that tons of ads are included in the apps. According to another article, Candy Crush has been downloaded more than 500 million times – that’s 1 in every 23 people on Facebook worldwide. Clash of Clans earns about $1.2 million in revenue every day, according to Think GamingSeeing that Candy Crush Saga was introduced in 2012, it has become very popular very quickly, and it is evident that app development is becoming a growing industry, with the potential to earn a lot of money.


When Candy Crush Saga was first introduced for download, I thought the game was a fad that people would download and play constantly for a short period of time. I refused to download it initially. But after three years in the market, it is evident that the app is going strong (of course I eventually downloaded it too!). However, I cannot foresee the length of time that the game will dominate the popularity charts.

Why do you think that the application has remained so popular for such a long time? Do you believe that Candy Crush Saga will remain a popular application for a long time, or do you believe it will soon be replaced by a new, better app? Would you want to be an application developer if you had the opportunity?

3 comments:

  1. I believe that Candy Crush as an application has remained so popular for such a long time since it has a variety of addictive qualities that appeal to our brains. I found this article by guardian that explains some reasoning behind why this particular application is so popular and has been for quite a while.

    http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2014/apr/01/candy-crush-saga-app-brain

    In general it speaks to how our brains are wired with the release of dopamine and how Candy Crush creates a pattern of release in our brains. With this considered I believe that Candy Crush Saga will remain a popular application for much longer since it is such a simple game that can take help anyone prolong their current pressures and realities to be dealing with. This application is a great way to be distracted or to mitigate from boredom with its simplicity. However, I believe that it will eventually be replaced by a new, more simple yet rewarding application. I think it will be similar to design and procedures as Candy Crush Saga though. On another note, I would not want to be an application developer if I had the opportunity since it deals with a lot of tedious code work. I know I do well in work situations where I deal with the public and interactions with people in general. I think the lack of interpersonal skills in this field of work would take away from the pleasure in working. Yet if I was making six figures per year, that might be something to consider...But ofcourse there are other professions that are geared to be interacting with people not online or digitally primarily that pay well too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the application is popular because of the points Sarah made as well as the sociality of the game (all your friends are always inviting you to play).

    I don't think it will be popular for too long. Things come and go. The big, popular, app "Angry Bird" held the stage not long ago. It spawned other similar apps, clothes, a TV show, and an upcoming movie. All from a mobile gaming up.

    Personally, I would consider being an app developer. There are many tools for beginners to learn, as well as services which provide the back bone structure for the app so you just fill in the blanks. Plus, six figures is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that candy crush, along with several other gaming apps are as popular as they are because we are becoming a multi-tasking society and we crave to have our minds working at all times. A lot of my friends will be playing Candy Crush or different apps while having conversations because they are able to do so. I'm sure most of us have seen students playing games such as Candy Crush while in lecture. We are accustomed to multi-tasking.
    I don't think it will remain popular for longer than any other app. For example, when the iPhone and iPad first came out the Temple Run was extremely popular, because it began to utilize the touch screen. Like Temple Run faded, I believe Candy Crush will as well and a new app will dominate the industry.

    I wouldn't consider being a developer because I am not interested in technology. However, I do feel that is it a very successful industry to become a part of and the compensation for creating an app can be incredibly high!

    ReplyDelete