Sunday 20 December 2015

Social Media & News



In Christian Fuchs Social Media and the Public Sphere he discusses the transformative power of new technologies. By drawing on the concept of Habermas’s public sphere, Fuchs believes that social media puts focus on political and cultural communication. Unlike Habermas’s idea that says the public sphere is a question of its member’s command of resources. Social media in turn has become key in defining the public discourse for these social media platforms.  What this article reminded me of was the way we share and learn about important news events. For me I personally have found out major events through social media sites before hearing it on the news. This of course was not always the way people accessed important news information, and I find it very interesting how social media has caused a shift in how we search for information.



http://www.journalism.org/2015/07/14/the-evolving-role-of-news-on-twitter-and-facebook/

I came across this report by Pew Research Centre that shows the statistics on how many people are sharing news stories via social media.  From this the research shows that users are actually turning to these sites to fulfill different types of information needs. Its really interesting how we can seek out information in different ways and the transformative power social media has in how we seek it.

Do you find you get your information from social media sites more frequently than from specific news sites? Why do you think that is?

2 comments:

  1. I personally tend to get my news from media outlets I follow on twitter. It's really convenient to have them all lined up in one place and it's very easily consumable as the headlines are reduced to 140 characters. This is honestly a problem as it contributes to a short attention span that I already have, and I tend not to read any further than the headlines of articles. However, it's accessible and I can get news updates at the same times as I get updates from my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post is very informative. You have explained all the aspects properly. Thanks for giving awareness about Social media and news

    ReplyDelete