Monday 7 December 2015

Do you feel as if you are too much of a commodity when using social media networks?

YouTube, Twitter, Facebook all seem to have a general idea of our interests. This is why when videos or people to follow are suggested, they are usually quite accurate. Dan Schiller explains the way in which the information of our internet activity is sold to advertisers as a commodity.


When you are using these social media networks, do you feel as if you are too much of a commodity and annoyed by a flurry of ads that specifically target you as a high potential consumer?

2 comments:

  1. When I use social media networks I typically do not think of myself or my work being a commodity. This is due to the way that my data and information aren't necessarily being turned into a commodity right in front of my eyes for me to see. Some may argue that actually seeing the ads that are tailored to ourselves through our purchased information shows our commodification but for myself it doesn't. This is mainly due to the way that I've grown accustomed to ignoring or not paying attention to these advertisements because I frankly don't care much for the ads they show me. So personally, I do not want my information sold for advertisement purposes, but I do not become overly enraged over it happening and there being tailored ads to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself most frustrated when I see how directly targeted ads are. It feels especially invasive when I google a certain item or brand, and advertisements for that item/brand are later presented to me overwhelmingly on social media. It would be one thing if I liked the brand on Facebook, but what is disturbing to me is the cross-platform exchange of data, which makes it feel that while the use of websites is technically free of cost, there is already a monopolized market online. This monopoly means further exploitation of users and an increased disparity between users and owners. While most of us have accepted the contract which means that our data is sold to advertisers in order to use their services. This wouldn't be so offensive to me if it wasn't for the seemingly ubiquitous power of the major websites.

    ReplyDelete