Monday 19 October 2015

Information as a Commodity

Exploring Dan Schiller chapters, “How to Think About Information” and “Culture, Information, and Commodification”, he argues that information is a resource as well as a commodity; he provides ways to think about information and how information changes alongside technological advancements. Throughout history the same changes occur to commodities such as production increases alongside the market. We can see this occur within the iPhone or cellphones in general. They continue to have updates and new models essentially not changing the basic functions.

As information on the Internet continues to grow, users become producers. Schiller examines not just the convergence of technology but also explores how information emerges as a commodity within culture, media, and networks. Our basic actions online can be considered a commodity as they have value.

CBC News have shared an interactive post demonstrating the ways we are being tracked thought the use of ITCs and how our data is being stored. http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/digitalsurveillance/


What are you thoughts and feeling about your information being stored as a commodity? Will this alter your actions and use of ITCs?

4 comments:

  1. I think that everyone is well aware that their information is being commodified (bought and sold within the marketing realm). Whenever we log into Facebook or Twitter we allow our personal information to be used by corporations. It is a trade-off for being able to utilize these websites; I know that my information is vulnerable when I use social media sites or any other ICT’s but it doesn’t stop me from using them. The tracking and storing of information can be used to make it easier to use certain websites or applications by tailoring them to suit our wants and needs. It can also be used as proof for what actions we have done online (for our own benefit or to prove someone guilty of a crime as well). Surveillance is meant to be a preventative measure but it is being used as a way of victimizing the people who log into social media sites or use ICT's. There are pros and cons to allowing your information to be used as a commodity and it is up to each individual person to decide that they are comfortable with the world knowing about them. Overall, the fact that I know that my information is out there does not hinder my use of the internet or ICT's; it is just something to think about and be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a discussion that I think is increasingly relevant, especially with our generation because most of us have our entire lives documented and stored somewhere online. While most of us accept the exchange of our information and labour for the use of social networks or ICTs, I think our behaviour is altered by the knowledge that everything we do is stored online; many of us have alternate names of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, as well as high privacy settings, so that potential employers can't see all our online activity. However, most of the information we share online would be relatively easy to access for someone who really wanted to see it.
    I think because of this storage of information and our involvement with ICTs in our youth will be especially interesting in the future, especially in terms of the way it affects us when job seeking or politically. How easy will it be to find photos of the people running for mayor, premier, or prime minister smoking weed or passed out drunk in their youth? Will this change how politics function? Will this change the online behaviour of future generations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t have a problem with my information being sold as a commodity. I agree with Kelsey, it seems like a fair trade off in order to have free access to their web page. I was not always aware that my information was stored by the social media and sold to advertisers; however when I found out this did not stop me from using it. I’d prefer have my information sold as a commodity than pay for a maintenance fee of the website or app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t have a problem with my information being sold as a commodity. I agree with Kelsey, it seems like a fair trade off in order to have free access to their web page. I was not always aware that my information was stored by the social media and sold to advertisers; however when I found out this did not stop me from using it. I’d prefer have my information sold as a commodity than pay for a maintenance fee of the website or app.

    ReplyDelete